The marvellous Joy Skipper has done it again. A delicious (and slightly less calorific) version of this seasonal favourite.
Thank you Joy !
300g mincemeat (or you could make your own….if you had absolutely nothing else to do in the whole world)
25g dried cherries
25g dried apricots, diced
50g flaked almonds
6 sheets filo pastry
30g unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) Gas Mark 6.
- Mix together the mincemeat, cherries, chopped apricots and flaked almonds.
- Lay the 6 sheets of filo pastry on top of each other and cut into 8 squares.
Melt the butter and mix with the olive oil.
- Lay one square of pastry on the work surface and brush with a small amount of butter and oil.Place another on top, at an angle and brush with butter. Repeat until you have 4 squares on top of each other at different angles. Gently press the square into the hole of a 12-hole bun tin. Repeat with the remaining pastry squares – at this point you will have 12 spare.
- Spoon the mincemeat mixture into the pastry cases.
- Brush the remaining squares of filo with the remaining butter and oil and scrunch each one and place on the top of the mincepies.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, until golden.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar before scoffing….er, I mean serving.