After hours of skulking in the aisles of M&S Foods, hovering in hope in Waitrose and cruising the shelves of Pret A Manger, below, dear readers, is a list of high protein ready to eat snacks that you can purchase, rip open and munch straight away whilst still adhering to the strict criteria I set myself:
- the word ‘sugar’ was not to be present in the ingredients list… or any other falsely sweet ‘-ose ‘words.
- the contents were to be nutritious, pure and high protein for maximum sustenance and minimum disturbance to hormone levels (i.e the dreaded insulin).
- some carbohydrate could be present but only good slow ones (and not those which would send a rocket to your brain cells followed by a massive dive later on).
So if you find yourself starving hungry and the next meal is a train ride / bus ride / traffic jam away but you refuse to surrender to the Pain Aux Raisins in Costa (34g carbohydrate, 14g sugar and 277 calories and a weedy 4.3g protein), then these will provide endless relief to any grumbling tum.
Here they are, in no particular order. Information given is total number of calories and total number of grams of protein per pack and in most cases you could eat the whole thing (…or is that just me?). Remember there is NO SUGAR on the ingredients list of any of them. M&S scored well, Waitrose was pretty poor.
10 High Protein Ready To Eat Snacks
1. M&S King Prawns with Chargrilled Asparagus: The whole pack provides 180 calories, 19g protein. Deeeelicious.
2. M&S Teriyaki Salmon Protein Pot: 156 calories and 15g protein.
3. M&S Chargrilled Calamari Rings with Red Pepper Dressing: (various sizes, this is for the smallest round pot) 125 calories and a whopping 23g protein. I got through the packet by the time I had walked from till to car.
4. M&S Falafels: About 120 calories and 6g protein for 3 falafels. Can you stop at 3?
5. Prêt A Manger Crayfish and Quinoa Protein Pot: 206 calories and 16g protein. You’ll need a fork so not strictly finger food.
6. M&S Humous and Carrot Sticks: 157 calories and 4.5g protein. Good value, ever so slightly dull.
7. M&S Arbroath Lochmuir Hot Smoked Salmon Flakes with a Mustard Dressing: 198 calories and 23g protein. Leaves you with fishy breath and seeds in your teeth (so random snogging is out) but this is really really tasty.
8. M&S Honduran Tandoori Style King Prawns: 170 calories and 25g protein (yeeee haaaa!)
9. M&S Mixed Nuts: 455 calories and 12g protein. Not especially tasty, but extremely handy and very, very filling.
10. Waitrose Coconut Chunks: 354 calories and not massively high in protein at 3g per pot but the health benefits of coconut are many. Don’t be put off by the fat content. This is saturated fat at its best. Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, heart-healthy and rocks the socks off the immune system. A brilliant snack but take a tooth pick.
So there you have it. 10 high protein ready to eat snacks that you can munch on the go!
Thank you for reading! Have a great day. Annie x